JN Adam Tuberculosis Sanatorium
The sweeping complex surrounded by 500-acres of forest is the work of architect John H. Coxhead. Coxhead was commissioned by Buffalo mayor J.N. Adam in 1909 to build a hospital for treating patients with tuberculosis. At the time the “white plaque” was ravaging the country with thousands of cases every year. The building was modeled after the southern plantations, with ornamental columns and wide verandahs on every floor to allow patients to sleep in the open air. This large stained glass dome located in the facility’s dining room is believed to be from the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, NY. Taken from the Temple of Music, the same site remembered for the assassination location of President McKinley.